Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The 24 Hour...or 4 Month Baby Quilt!

So I fell in love with this quilt idea several months before we were even pregnant.  So when we got pregnant and found out it was boy I got started on this "24 hour quilt."  I started it in April.  I just finished it yesterday, July 9.  Yeah... leave it to me to take a simple project and make it very difficult.  I kinda took pictures along the way.  I'm very happy with how it turned out!  

This part I could handle.  Cutting the gray and teal fabric to be the same size.  

I didn't take pictures (probably because I was too frustrated) of the most challenging part for me which was cutting and sewing the white "patches" on each side of the quilt.  The corners kept gathering.  I finally went to my amazing mom and had her help me fix it!  This is the point were I just wanted to hand it off to her and say please finish it but I continued forward...

Here's my little helper.  He isn't supposed to touch the fabric or the crib.  Parenting is going so well for us!

Next, I lined up the fabric and two layers of batting.  To keep them lined up while sewing I had to loosely hand stitch the layers together.  



 Next, we spent several evenings sewing back and forth across the quilt.  

Then I trimmed the edges off the sides of the quilt.  I cut and sewed the edging together and attached it the gray side of the quilt.  Lastly I hand stitched the other side of the edge to the teal side.  



After all this work I am very happy with it.  Hopefully Finn appreciates it someday soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment